Recent Posts

Pages: [1]
Please Tell Us Your Story / Brad Bennett-70
« Last post by tennis23 on October 20, 2017, 11:17:53 AM »
Hello Brian. Enjoy your site very much. 2 years ago I collapsed in my bedroom with intense chest pain around 11 pm. My wife called an ambulance and they rushed me the local hospital here in Abbotsford BC. Once there they ran the usual tests for heart failure but could find no cause? I remained in pain and needed a lot of meds. After another Ct scan with still no answer they decided to hold me over night.

But one Dr on night shift, Dr Newton, sensed something wrong and called the Cardio center at Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster. There a Dr Daniel Wong asked for the scan and was certainly concerned, but even he was reluctant to have me sent over to his facility as it was 3 am and a team would be hard to get together. But Dr Newton was adamant, and insisted I should be sent immediately. He ordered an ambulance and I was sent to Royal so fast my wife could'nt keep up. Once there Dr Wong ran more tests and sure enough I was developing a full ascending aortic breakdown and had only hours to live!

Somehow Dr Wong got a team and I went into Emergency open heart surgery. Later the attending Dr told me my aorta was splitting right down the middle and they were able to remove it with just in time. They spliced in a plastic tube to replace it that ran from the top of my heart and down to the defending section. Quite a feat of surgery for Dr Wong.

I'm 74 now and leading a healthy life thanks to some very fine doctors. I was truly blessed that night.

Cheers. Brad Bennett
Medications / Lexapro
« Last post by tennis23 on October 18, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »
I have been on Lexapro for 14 years now. I was prescribed it about 8 months after my surgery. I have to get special clearance from my insurance company to get approval for the Lexapro brand, the generic doesn't work.  My BP meds, Micardias 80/25 HCTZ and Toporol XL 200. I am trying to keep my exercise up, BP down and not have to rely on those BP meds as I am also managing my stress much better too! Brian )
Recommend A Surgeon / Dr. James Brevig
« Last post by tennis23 on October 15, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »
My surgeon was tremendous! Dr. James Brevig is an incredible surgeon at Providence Everett.
http://www.providence.org/doctors/profile.aspx?name=james+k+brevig&id=158640.
The Single Stay units and idea of Dr. Brevig's were wonderful too! If  you need help and are in the area, look no further.
Kind Regards,
Brian :o
Aortic Valve Issues / Leaky aortic valve
« Last post by tennis23 on October 14, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
I know that when I had my open heart surgery, my surgeon did not either notice my valve to be an issue, or just that it wasn't worth trying to fix at the time of my ER surgery. After I got a test on my valve post surgery, I was told I had a bicuspid valve and had a mild leak. I was told my Bicuspid valve could have been there since birth. Fast forward 14 years after my surgery and for about the last 3 years it's gone to a "moderate" leak. I saw a letter/message flyer from my surgeon at Providence Everett Hospital, Dr. James Brevig talking about the new advances in TVAR.  I know that it puts extra pressure on the heart muscle with this issue. However, I think if I have to have my valve replaced, it has to be open heart. For some reason, my friends have said the TVAR won't work for me. Not exactly sure why? I need to get clarification again. My surgeon just happens to go to the same barber shop that I go to! Brian :)
Please Tell Us Your Story / Patricia Schultz-57
« Last post by tennis23 on October 12, 2017, 04:13:55 PM »
Name: Patricia  Schultz
Email: passchultz@gmail.com
Age at time of Dissection: 57
Type of Dissection: Ascending
Date of Aortic Dissection: 10 September 2017
Tell Us Your Story: On September 10th 2017I went for my usual run hoping that day to run around 9 miles. Into the first mile while going up a short steep hill it felt like my heart was in my throat. I stopped and sat for a minute, drank some water.  I got up and tried running again but I just didn’t feel right. Thought I would try and push it to mile three where I usually get in my groove. My vision was a bit off and was still not feeling good. I decided it was best to stop and I started to walk back to my car where I ran into my husband who was exercising where I was running. I told him I wasn’t feeling good so we went home .  My husband had plans I told him to go ahead with them.  I still was not feeling the best . I could not figure out what to do with myself.  Within about a half hour my husband called and wanted to know if I wanted to go to the er. I said I thought that would be a good idea. After a few tests and MRI’S I was diagnosed with an ascending Aortic Dissection.

I was transported to the hospital where I had emergency surgery. They repaired my aorta and a valve. All went well. One day after the fluids were not draining properly around my heart and lungs so I to had to go back into surgery to have the fluids drained.   Fast forward ...... It has been five weeks and my recovery is going well. Cardiac rehab has me moving each day and I hope to be running in the near future!
What are you doing for Exercise? / Tennis
« Last post by tennis23 on October 12, 2017, 04:12:37 PM »
I am still  playing tennis Competitively at 55 years of age (10/23) and have been basically 6 months since my AD surgery. In fact, I was on the tennis court when it actually happened. I don't do hardly any weight lifting. I just got my new hip, 8 months now so, I can start trying some light jogging for 15 minutes. Other than that, keeping my weight down and keeping an eye on my BP.
Pages: [1]
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk